Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New to the Blogging World!

Please bear with me as I am figuring out this whole blogging thing.  I have wanted to do this for a while and made it my New Year's Resolution to sit down and figure it out.  I did not want to spend money on a blog design as I am sure I can figure this out on my own (read my husband can figure this out and then teach me).  

I am super excited to be starting Guided Math with my first graders when we come back from break on Tuesday.  It is something that I have wanted to do for a while, but I struggled with the logistics of it.  My boss gave me some great advice and got me motivated.  The conversation went like this: 

Me:  I really want to try guided math, I have dabbled with it a little, but I just can't wrap my head around how it is going to work.

Her:  Amber, it isn't much different than Guided Reading.  Just do it.

Me:  Okay then!

I saw the magnetic pizza tins for group management on pinterest.  I am going to get some tomorrow!  I will post pictures when I get them finished!

Update:  Here is the finished product!  The supplies to make them cost less than 15 dollars!
101CANON

4 comments:

  1. I am not sure what guided math is - can you give me a little explanation?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure! Guided Math is small group math instruction so the kids are being instructed at their level. It is a great way to give specific instruction that meets the students needs. When I am meeting with a group the other kids are at a math center practicing skills that are appropriate to them. I do a lot of Box Cars and One Eyed Jacks (http://www.boxcarsandoneeyedjacks.com/) games in my room which lend themselves well to center work. I am going to do a big post on this after we are back from break and have dove in full force. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am your newest follower. I stumbled upon your blog while I was doing my (dare I say it) weekly blog stalking. I love the pizza tin idea. While I was reading through the post, I was trying to figure out where it would work in my classroom. I share a room with another teacher and we divide the room enough. This makes placement of larger things a bit tricky. I'm definitely going to keep this in the back of my head though!

    Erin
    It's "OWL" Goo in Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  4. On amazon you can get pizza pans that are about the size of a paper plate. They are a bit more expensive though. Or is there a way you could hang them from your ceiling? I weekly blog stalk also! :). Thanks for stopping by!
    Amber

    ReplyDelete